Responsible for the recovery of human eye tissue for transplant and/or research and the collection of necessary medical, behavioral, laboratory, and other data to ensure quality donor screening. Also has primary responsibility for tissue transportation to and from the airport. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs efficient and quality surgical recovery of human eye tissue for transplant and/or research.
- Collects complete and accurate medical charts, behavioral data, laboratory data, blood specimens, and other pertinent data from the recovery site and other appropriate agencies.
- Travels throughout respective recovery area to collect eye tissue and medical records.
- Acts professionally and respectfully as a representative of SightLife in hospital, funeral home, and transplant/donation settings.
- Performs scheduled donor recoveries.
- Performs timely transportation of eye tissue to and from airport and surgeon’s facilities as needed.
- Ensure all applicable FDA, EBAA, SightLife and state regulatory policies are followed.
- Performs other projects and duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Required Skills/Knowledge/Abilities:
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with all Eye Bank, hospital, and peer agency staff.
- Ability to work days, nights, weekends and long hours when needed.
- Able to interpret and follow verbal and written direction.
- A personal commitment to organ and tissue donation required.
- All SightLife staff are expected to be able to use Word, Excel, Outlook or their equivalents at a functional level.
- Understanding and adherence to SightLife's safety, regulatory and confidentiality guidelines.
- Qualified applicants must be 21 years of age or older, have a valid driver's license, and be eligible to meet our company driving standards.
- Lifting; Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally. Occasionally, the employee must lift and move up to 80 lbs.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Medical and/or Biological science background strongly preferred.